A first date is the crucial stepping stone to a long term connection. First impressions are delicate and set the scene for how someone perceives you. If you want your love connection to blossom it’s important to leave a positive impression and be perceived as someone who your date would want to continue getting to know.
- A first date is the crucial stepping stone to a long term connection. First impressions are delicate and set the scene for how someone perceives you. If you want your love connection to blossom it’s important to leave a positive impression and be perceived as someone who your date would want to continue getting to know.
- Dress to Impress. Appearance matters. Psychologists say we have 7 seconds to make a first impression - and it’s a lasting one. Take the time to present your best self on a first date. Shower, shave, and wear an outfit that is true to your style and flattering to your shape. Smell good. Scent can arouse connections on a subconscious level.
- Be a “sparkling” conversationalist. The fastest way to take the sizzle out of a first date is to turn it into an interview or a talk show. Don’t interrogate and steer clear of conversation icebergs such as politics, sex, ex’s and any kind of past traumas. Instead, ask ice-breaking questions that lead to great conversation. Intriguing and thought provoking questions are available as an app; “Conversation starters”. Tip: Try sitting side by side vs across from one another. It allows for less formal banter and opens the door for more physical interaction.
- Be attentive. Listen to what your date has to say. This communication skill is very welcoming and will create comfort. Have we mentioned that eye-contact is important? Let the other person finish talking before commenting or adding to the conversation. Take equal turns speaking.
- Vibes don’t lie. Authenticity is key, there is only one you. People can sense when you’re not being genuine. If you pretend to be someone you’re not or interested in things you are not, you are ultimately prolonging the inevitable, wasting your time and your dates time. When it comes to romance, the secret really is to be yourself. Always act in ways that are consistent with your beliefs and honest to your state of being.
Let’s face it – The best first dates are ones that lead to second dates. Even if a professional dating service hasn’t matched you, these tips can give you a better shot at putting your best foot forward.
-CB, IJL Director
Gone are the days when it was perfectly ok to walk up to a stranger, strike up a conversation and eventually ask them out for coffee.
Summer is here and in full swing. With longer days and warmer temperatures, this is the best time to get to know someone special.
So, you’re getting ready for your first date and now you’re wondering about that famous first date kiss.